How Do Bed Bugs Come Into Existence
What Causes Bed Bugs
Bed bugs often appear even in new apartments that are equipped with the all modern conveniences. Certainly, the owners of clean houses are puzzled about why parasites have inhabited their apartment. Moreover, how have they penetrated into their dwelling? There are several causes of bed bugs appearance in the apartment.
The thing is that it does not matter how carefully cleanliness is maintained. The main and the only target of bed bugs is a human being (or sometimes small-sized animals). Thus, they can settle in the places where people spend nighttime.
To avoid bed bugs penetration into the house you should always stay alert and monitor the subtle changes that happen in the apartment. Also, from time to time it is useful to take prophylactic measures and apply insecticide on the perimeter of the possible entry points of insects. It is also recommended to communicate with your neighbors and pay attention to the condition of their apartments.
Additionally, bed bugs can come to your house by chance. In this case, it depends on the owner’s wish to mind all the possible ways of their penetration. Therefore, it is important to understand what causes bed bugs appearance to be able to protect yourself from these parasites when needed.
What Causes Bed Bugs in an Apartment?
It is difficult to answer the question about where bed bugs come from. It depends on the flat location, the presence of parasites at neighbors’ apartments, or the owners’ recent trips by train or someone else’s car. There are many ways of how these insects penetrate into the house; thus, bed bugs causes may be different.
- In most cases, bugs come from neighboring premises. It is especially typical for old buildings. Insects can crawl through a damaged wall, cracks or the outer wall of the house. Also, bed bugs often come through ventilation shafts. They can survive without food for quite a long time. Thus, long travels are not a problem for them. Insects’ body shape and small size facilitate their penetration into small holes and cracks. If a house is located in the countryside, bed bugs can often come to people from small-sized farm animals. In fact, the thick skin of a rabbit or a goat is not so attractive to these blood-sucking insects as the human one.
- You can “catch” a bed bug and transfer it to your apartment having spent a night outside your house. Hotels, friends’ apartments, as well as trains or railway stations are places where you can get these parasites. Bed bugs are small in size. Thus, even if an insect does not have time to hide when a person gets up and dresses, the bug’s presence will be unnoticeable on the cloth.
- One more cause of bed bugs penetration is buying appliances. Bed bugs like to hide in the places that are protected from bright daylight and have a source of heat. Parasites often get into working system units. If such a unit is moved to be repaired or to a new apartment, bed bugs will quickly spread through a new place.
- Another way of getting bed bugs is bringing them to the house on clothes. Parasites cannot bite through clothing, but they can hide in it. It is not always possible to notice the bloodsucker due to its tiny size. Therefore, it is very likely to bring one or more insect home, having visited an apartment inhabited by them. Also, another cause of bed bugs penetration can be a purchase of clothes infested by these parasites.
- Furniture is one of the most common bed bugs causes. New pieces of furniture brought from the store are rarely infested, as parasites simply have nothing to eat there. However, exceptions may occur. In most cases, bed bugs can dwell in the furniture that was previously used. Parasites spread through its surface and cracks. It is necessary to check the furniture very carefully before buying it, especially the inside part of it.
- Bed bugs can live on bats, birds, hamsters and rats if they have not very long and thick hair. These insects do not drink blood of cats or dogs because their skin is too thick for these parasites. For this reason, they prefer cattle.
- Guests may bring bed bugs to the apartment too. People who live in the infested premises may bring these insects on their clothes. It happens that after flat renovation owners may reveal bugs “left” by workers. These parasites are very fond of the large crowds of people, so they often live in construction trailers and hostels. If hired workers live in such conditions, it is very likely that they will bring bed bugs to their workplace.
Department of Health
Bed Bugs – What They Are and How to Control Them
Bed bugs have been around for thousands of years. They feed on blood, but are not known to spread any diseases to humans. Some people can be allergic to their bites. Getting rid of a bed bug infestation is not easy, but there are steps you can take to control the problem. There are also steps you can take to avoid bringing bed bugs home.
What are bed bugs?
How can bed bugs get into my home?
- They can come from other infested areas or from used furniture. They can hitch a ride in luggage, purses, backpacks, or other items placed on soft or upholstered surfaces.
- They can travel between rooms in multi-unit buildings, such as apartment complexes and hotels.
How can I avoid bringing bed bugs into my home?
- When staying in a hotel, place your bag on a suitcase stand rather than on the bed or floor. Keep the rack away from walls or furniture. When returning home, wash the clothes from your trip and put them in a hot dryer.
- Inspect new and used furniture before bringing it inside. Look in seams, tufts and under cushions.
How do I know if I have a bed bug problem?
- You can see the bed bugs themselves, their shed skins, or their droppings in mattress seams and other items in the bedroom.
- There may also be blood stains on sheets.
How do I control a bed bug problem in my home?
It can be done, but it usually requires what is called an "integrated pest management" (IPM) approach. This combines techniques that pose the lowest risk to your health and the environment. Try these strategies:
- Clean and get rid of clutter, especially in your bedroom.
- Move your bed away from walls or furniture.
- Vacuum molding, windows and floors every day. Vacuum sides and seams of mattresses, box springs and furniture. Empty the vacuum or the bag immediately and dispose of outside in a sealed container or bag.
- Wash sheets, pillow cases, blankets and bed skirts and put them in a hot dryer for at least 30 minutes. Consider using mattress and box spring covers –the kind used for dust mite control–and put duct tape over the zippers.
- Seal cracks and crevices and any openings where pipes or wires come into the home.
Should I also try pesticides?
Pesticides may not be effective and can be dangerous if used improperly. If you decide to use pesticides, follow these rules:
- Only use pesticides that are registered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (look for the U.S. EPA Registration Number on the label) and make sure they are labeled to control bed bugs.
- Do not apply pesticides directly to your body (there are no repellents registered to control bed bugs that can be used on the human body).
- Do not use outdoor pesticides indoors.
- If you decide to hire a pest control company, make sure they have experience with bed bugs. They should follow the steps of IPM, along with any pesticide application. Use a company that is registered and employs licensed applicators. The Department of Environmental Conservation has a list of registered companies.
It takes time and persistence to get rid of bed bugs, and in some cases, the cooperation of landlords, neighbors and others. It can be physically and emotionally exhausting. It can also be expensive when pest control companies are called in. Just remember – bed bugs are more of a nuisance than a health concern and, with vigilance, you can avoid or deal with infestations.
See the following for more information on bed bug biology and control measures:
Photo courtesy of Dr. Harold Harlan, Armed Forces Pest Management Board Image Library
How Do You Get Bed Bugs in The First Place?
How do you get bed bugs in the first place? In this post, I am going to show you how exactly bed bugs get into your house based on the scientific studies from the experts.
Here, you will find the list of places that have great probability as the source of bed bugs infestation in your house. In fact, the list of bed bugs places below are suggested by experts based on their studies.
Now it is time to show you where exactly the first places of bed bugs that get into your house.
Many people do believe that bed bugs come from a very dirty place. It is true some insects love to live there, but not for bed bugs. It is clearly a misunderstanding. They can live anywhere as long as they can get blood as a food source. So, they are not interested in rot.
As same as mosquitoes and ticks, bed bugs look for blood as meals. Unfortunately, the problem is that bed bugs cannot fly like mosquitoes in searching for food sources. Also, bed bugs are not the ticks that can live in their host. So, they do need a very safe place to hide and near the food sources. That is why you can easily find bed bugs in bedroom.
In relation with the bed bugs’ places, Rahlenbeck et al. in 2016 states that bed bugs have conquered quite diverse locations, ranging from hospitals, hotels and homes, to trains, cruise ships, and even airplanes. Most commonly, bed bugs travel in comfort as stowaways in luggage, although they can be transferred via furnishing and other belongings, as well by spreading to adjoining properties.
Therefore, it can be concluded that beg bugs can actually come from any place as long as their host is near and reachable. It means that bed bugs can live anywhere even you can find bed bugs in electronics. Here, Doggett et al. 2011 states that in addition to homes and hotels, infestations are appearing in the office and retail environment, in the health and transport sectors, and in cinemas; in fact, they can be found in almost any location where people sleep or sit.
In relation with bed bugs infestation in hotel, Potter et al. in 2015 find out that while infestations are most common in homes and apartments, three fourths (74%) of pest management professionals in the United States also report finding bed bugs in hotels and motels.
It sounds a bit strange but hotel and any other rented rooms are the perfect places to check when you are curious about how do bed bugs get into your house. Here, hotel as a rented room is a place where people from different background come and stay. Thus, any pests can possibly follow them and stay there.
So, it is the reality that the bed bugs infestation in hotel does exist. But, there is a main problem toward this. It is hard to find out the hotel that will tell the truth about bed bugs infestation. Thus, you do really need to consider and even find out some reviews before booking a hotel. If you are lucky enough, you will find a cheap hotel with high quality.
Then, to prevent bed bugs in hotel, Bernardeschi et al. in 2013 suggests at least two things you need to do: 1.) When sleeping in a hotel, even an upmarket establishment, lift mattresses to look for bed bugs or black spots, and 2.) Do not leave luggage in dark places, near furniture, or close to your bed. Before going to bed, close suitcases and put them in the bathroom—in the bathtub or shower stall.
Therefore, it is important to always check your bed before sleeping and keep your stuffs far away from bed. Here, bathroom is the perfect place because bed bugs do not live there and also the bathtub is slippery for them to crawl.
The existence of bed bugs in hospital is quite surprising because this place must be very clean. Hospital is not likely the place where bed bugs stay and live. But, if you ask pest-management companies about this situation, you will find that this problem is true.
Here, bed bugs infestations in hospital do not come from the inside of hospital but from the outside. In relation with this problem, Don McCarthy as cited by Jasmine Williams in 2013 says that the bugs get into hospitals three ways: emergency situations where people are picked up from their homes, from patients’ clothing and personal articles, and from people visiting patients.
In this case, those reasons are logical and seem to be true. It is because hospital needs to be clean and hygiene. Therefore, it there is an infestation, it must be from the outside.
As it is well-known that bed bugs can travel with belongings, emergency situation will not make people realize what actually living inside the things they carry while they are picked up the patients. The patients’ health is the most urgent thing to be considered.
Here, patients’ clothing and personal stuffs that might have been infested usually included while people picked up patients from their home. So, it will be wise to check any stuff or things to avoid the infestation.
At the last, bed bugs can be carried away by visitors in hospital. They can hide in their bags, clothes, stuffs, or wherever they want to. Once they come and have enough time, bed bugs can spread in the hospital anytime.
Therefore, it is necessary to check patients and visitors stuffs when they come into the hospital. Make sure that all the things they have are clean and free from bed bugs and other pests. In this case, you can observe that some hospital would change the patients clothes once they come to the hospital.
Unlike bus or taxi, people can spend their night or day in a train while it comes to a long trip. Also, it can come across the countries. So, the existence of bed bugs in train seems logical and possible. In this case, Alalawi in 2014 states that people can transport bed bugs when they travel by trains.
Now, let us think about it. For those who travel at night, usually the blanket is available and can be used by passengers. But, unfortunately, we have no idea whether the blanket is completely clean or not. Also, we have no idea who had used it before us, or where the blanket does restore.
Then, for some types of trains, the passengers can keep their stuffs in the one single and long cabin together with others’ stuffs. So, it can make bed bugs move easier from stuff to the other stuff. It is because all the passengers’ stuffs are placed in one location.
So, train can be the best vehicle for bed bugs to travel from one city to the other city, or even from one country to the other country. As same as virus, bed bugs can spread while the subject who carries them travels.
Therefore, checking your stuffs before and after the travelling is necessary. It is not only to make sure your stuffs are still fine, but also to avoid the spread bed bugs. Also, it will be wise to not use blanket from the train, but you can use your own jacket.
It is quite strange for people at first to realize that bed bugs can live in cruise ship. In this case, it is true that bed bugs are not from sea, so it is impossible that cruise ship has bed bugs in it. But, considering that cruise ship is the boat that loads people from anywhere, it becomes possible.
Cruise ship has so many facilities including some beds or room for people to sleep. Here, we have no idea if the passengers’ bag or clothes are actually infested by bed bugs. So, when these people stay there for a while or even a few days, it is possible for bed bugs to spread in the cruise ship.
Also, it is well known that bed bugs can survive without any nourishment. Therefore, they can stay there for weeks, months, or even a year. This ability makes them can wait new passengers for months after the last bite.
Then, to avoid bed bugs in cruise ship, you need to seal your stuffs in plastic when you left them near the bed. It may sound weird or even funny, but it is good as preventive steps. Or, if you don’t want to do that, you can inspect your stuffs before you enter your house from the trip.
In addition, checking the bed is also important thing to do. You may not expect bed bugs under the bed, but it will be safe to check it first. No one will know what will come when he falls asleep. It can be bed bugs or anything else.
So far, the existence of bed bugs in airplane is quite rare. It is because airplane seems quite pricy, so the prime cleanliness is a must. But, if you look for the news about it, you will find some cases related to this problem.
Well, here comes the question:
- Do the bed bugs come from the airplane?
- Do the bed bugs come from the last room you stay before?
- Do the bed bugs come from other people?
Well, it is important to consider these questions before you starting to complaint the airline if that situation happens.
In this case, bed bugs can come from the last hotel you stay that hide in your stuffs. Then, you will carry them into a plane before they arrive in your house. That is how bed bugs do come in your house.
In other case, bed bugs can come from the other passengers. Here, bed bugs can move from them to anywhere, including to the seat, pillow, or even blanket. So, there are lot of possibilities about how bed bugs come in an airplane.
However, the point here is that bed bugs do exist in airplane. So, to avoid them, you need to cover yourself, bring your own blanket and pillow, and cover your stuffs. It may sound weird, but that is the effective way to avoid bed bugs joining your trip.
You may wonder about how bed bugs get into your house from hotels or any other places. Well, it seems impossible for bed bugs to track and follow your scent to go to your house, right? It will take so much time for them to crawl into your house. In fact, the road is full of their predators.
So, what if they don’t crawl? What if they hide in your stuff and follow you wherever you are going to? Here is the fact. Your stuff like luggage and backpack can be a perfect place for them to hide while you are sleeping. It is a very safe place because there are so many empty spaces they can use to hide. That is how bed bugs get into your house from the hotel or any places you temporarily stayed.
Thus, here are the tips for you. If it is possible, keep your stuff in the bathtub or at least in the bathroom. Well, this is quite unfamiliar thing to do. But, if you think clearly, you will find that bed bugs will not stay there. So, your stuff is safe. In fact, bed bugs will only live near their host. That is why the bedroom is their most favorite place for living, not bathroom. So, how do you get bed bugs in the first place? Please share your opinion below.
Bed Bug Infestation
Bed bugs are flat and small in size, allowing them to hide easily from view during the day when they are not active. They hide in mattresses, bed frames, bedding, furniture, carpets, baseboards and bedroom clutter. They are most commonly found in the seams of mattresses or inside box springs. However, it is not necessary to locate a specimen to identify an infestation. Their excrement leaves brown to black stains on mattresses and linens, and bloodstains may be visible where bed bugs have been accidentally crushed.
Bed bugs are commonly transported within luggage, allowing them to spread anywhere humans settle. Infestations have become a problem in domestic households, hotels, dormitories and other places of residence. Because of their small size and propensity to hide within mattresses and furniture, controlling a bed bug infestation can prove difficult.
The presence of only one fertile female bed bug in a friendly environment such as a single or multiple family dwelling is an infestation that is waiting to happen. Since a healthy, blood-fed female bed bug can produce from 200-500 healthy eggs during her lifetime and may lay from 2-5 eggs each day, the likelihood of an infestation of bed bugs is extremely high unless bed bug control efforts by your pest management professional are employed to eliminate the infestation.
Mattress Infested With Bed Bugs
Bed Bug Control
Cimex lectularius L.
Learn what Bed Bugs look like, and how to detect if you have a Bed Bug Infestation.
Find out how Bed Bugs infiltrate your home and where they are attracted to.
Learn about Bed Bug bites. their feces and how they can impact your health.
Learn how Orkin handles Bed Bugs, homeopathic cures and the cost of Bed Bug extermination services.
Where Do Bed Bugs Come From – How Do You Get Bed Bugs
How do you get bed bugs in your house? Anyone who has ever woken up with a chain of red blisters from the bites of night parasites would wonder where bed bugs come from. In most cases, bed bugs are not transferred to the apartments. The thing is that they live there for decades, not revealing their presence at once. Mostly these insects spread from one apartment to another, but where do bed bugs come from?
It is impossible to answer this question because they just spread through the building being attracted by the presence of humans. How do bed bugs get in bed? After penetration into the premises, insects hide under the beds, in the wardrobes, under the carpets, behind the baseboards, in the cracks of furniture and in mattresses. These insects prefer to settle in places where they can bite people during night time.
In suburban areas bed bugs find human dwelling using their sense of smell. Then insects move to the buildings from chicken coops and rabbitries, where they parasitize on the skin of medium-sized animals. However, bed bugs parasitism on other mammals and birds is more like an exception, because these insects usually feed on human blood.
Bed bugs are not very mobile insects. They cannot fly and run much slower than cockroaches, but they can survive without food for quite a long time. Thus, bed bugs can travel for long distances. How do bed bugs spread? Despite the fact that these parasites cannot run fast, they spread through the apartment considerably quickly. They move freely through ventilation holes, electrical wiring channels and cracks in doors. Due to flat shape of their bodies these insects are able to crawl even where no cracks or holes are visible. It is impossible to isolate an apartment from bed bugs because they come through the outlets and by the outer walls through the windows. It is especially true for the apartments in old high-rise buildings and the houses built in the countryside.
How Do You Get Bed Bugs in Your House
First, people get bed bugs by bringing them home from journeys. For example, bed bugs can be in the luggage and the things brought from the trips, to the warm countries in particular. Tropical Egypt, Thailand, Indonesia and India seem to be a paradise for thermophilic bed bugs. Thus, travelers have to remember that the last place they traveled to before the bugs appearance is the most likely to be a historic homeland of the blood-sucking parasites. In this case, you can bring a single adult female that may lay eggs and give rise to a new population. You should be cautious because these insects can hide or accidentally fall into the pleats of the clothes, into the suitcases, bags and footwear, and travel through several time zones. This way of getting bed bugs is particularly relevant for backpackers, who often change hotels.
One more common method of how bed bugs come to the new house is hiding in the furniture, especially in the new one. In furniture factories or stores bugs have nothing to eat; thus, new products are not infested. Pieces of furniture from infested houses and apartments are, on the contrary, the main breeding ground for these parasites.
People can also get bed bugs on clothes. Although these insects prefer to bite open skin areas, they often hide in the clothes left in the apartment or taken off before going to bed. Thus, you can bring bugs into your house by visiting the infested house or taking guests from such a place. Moreover, there are known cases when bed bugs were found in expensive clothing shops in unworn clothes. The insects got there from people who lived in the infested apartments or from neighboring premises.
Furthermore, bed bugs can get into the house with new appliances. These insects prefer to spend the daytime in warm places. Thus, they can stay in laptops, tablets, scanners, microwave ovens, and any other appliances, and be transferred to a new place from the store.
Moreover, bed bugs can get into the apartment being carried by animals. It is a very rare way of transferring these insects, but it may happen too. Despite the fact that bed bugs do not feed on cats and dogs because they cannot bite their skin tissue, these pets can transfer the parasites. Moreover, bats and birds can be transmitters of these parasites as well.
Thus, once appeared in the house, bed bugs can spread through the entire apartment. They can inhabit all the places where they can be caught only by the professional desinfectants. Moreover, bed bugs can fall into anabiosis because of the absence of food. Thus, the bugs can stay in uninhabited apartments for more than a few months. A flat can be perfectly clean at first glance, but insects and their larvae will crawl out of the cracks as soon as they smell a human body.